People > Stories
Stories give us a strong connection to our family and heritage. Stories also provide us with a connection to times and places that are far away or people we would like to know better. Take time to share your stories.
- Little Russia: Patterns in Migration, Settlement, and the Articulation of Ethnic Identity Among Portland's Volga Germans - master's thesis by Heather Ann Viets
- Heinrich Wacker Returns to Norka - 1928
- Interview of Betty Niederhaus and Marie Schreiber (née Niederhaus) by the Northwest Women's History Project
- Wire Down and Weigh "Em Up by Virgina Schott Millar
- Journey to America by William Burbach
- The Life Story of John Henry and Bertie Lee Yeager by Gloria Joan Yeager
- Christmas Traditions by Marie Trupp Krieger
- Children’s Christmas Traditions by Marie Trupp Krieger
- Christmas, Magic Time for Germans from Russia by Marie Trupp Krieger
- Mel's Bio by Melvin W. Cook
- Recollections of Summer Hop Picking by Adam Bihn
- Recycling by Roy Conrad Derring
- German Russians on the Volga and in the United States by Amelia Auld
- Eastern Washington Harvest by Roy Conrad Derring
- Queens of Rosaria by Steve Schreiber
- Little Russia in Portland by Pauline Coulter (née Scheierman)
- Memories of Portland by Conrad Brill
- Irving Park's Volga German Connections by Steve Schreiber
- Lyon's Farm by Melvin W. Cook
- Extra…Extra…Read All About It! by Melvin W. Cook
- A Gas Pump Jockey at N.E. 7th and Fremont by Melvin W. Cook
- Sunday School Picnics by Melvin W. Cook
- Schnicklefritz by Fred Betz
- Wire Down: Memories of the Hop Harvest as told by Mollie Schneider Willman. Compiled and edited by Vickie Willman Burns.
- Stamp Collection by John Devore
- Cold Storage by Georgia (Koch) Thomas and Melvin W. Cook
- Immigrants Yearning To Be Free by Emilie Pauli (née Rüger)
- How the Onion Dome Came To Be – A Volga German and Russian Partnership by Kris Wunsch Zelinka
- Taverns in the Neighborhood by Roy Conrad Derring
- Park Story Began With Garbage Man Oregon Journal
- Cleaning Up Portland by Julie Tripp
- George Frank: Two companies, many friends by Bob Hunter
- Mayor and Councilmen Arrest Garbageman George Schmeer The Oregonian
- Lost Radium Plaque Tracked to Pile of Garbage by Herbert Lundy, The Oregonian
- Henry and Marie Danewolf by Mary Smith
- Christmas Memories by George E. Miller
- The Steinfeld Story by Ray Steinfeld, Sr.
- Watkins Drugstore by Marcia Staunton and Melvin W. Cook
- Remembering by Lee Doyle
- A Short Biography by Marie Trupp Krieger
- Berry Picking by Vickie Willman Burns
- What I Remember About My Grandfather, Jacob Hergert by Lillian Brill (née Hergert)
- The Hildermann Family by Ed Hoak
- Zinnte Pfund by Harold Kammerzell
- Felida Memories by Amelia Werre (née Krieger)
- Fremont Street by Jerry Schleining and Melvin W. Cook
- The Unsolved Murder of Katherine Krieger
- Who Am I? by Elisabeth Reiber (née Klaus)
- The Life and Memories of John Rekart, age 97 by Dana Beck
- The Volga German Dialect by Roy Conrad Derring
- Recollections of Ellen Johnson Bauer by Randy Johnson
Marilyn Schleining Schultz interviewed by Heather Viets on November 16, 2016.
Loretta and Harold Kammerzell interviewed by Heather Viets on November 28, 2016.
Roy Conrad Derring interviewed by Heather Viets on December 4, 2017.
Click here to read the interview transcripts for Marilyn Schleining Schultz, Roy Conrad Derring, and Loretta and Harold Kammerzell.
Last updated August 22, 2021.